About Me

Sok Sobi. I enjoy taking pictures of people and places, particular interest in Landscape, People and Travel photography. Pictures and stories that bring Social Awareness and the potential for long term social change or policy are important to me. I use Canon Digital Cameras (EOS 2,4 plus ,Fuji X Pro 1,2 XT2,3 Xe1,2) with a selection of Canon lenses, the 24-105 IS f4L being my favourite at present. I use Lightroom & Photoshop Elements to edit my work. Canon equipment and lenses give me just what I need, reliability and high IQ. I am now living and working in Cambodia, South East Asia, using Phnom Penh as a base to explore the region. I publish stories that are important to me on my blog but always try to give a balanced picture.

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Foa on the front line

Two-time Pulitzer Prize nominee, Sylvana Foa talks war, reporting and her inability to retire. Sylvana Foa is not one to shy away from a challenge. A respected war correspondent, she reported in Vietnam in the late 1960s and Cambodia in the early 1970s. She was twice nominated for the Pulitzer Prize – first for her coverage of the assassination of Indian Prime Minister Indira Ghandi and the second for her coverage of the 10th Anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War. She was the first woman to serve as a foreign editor of a major international news organisation (United Press International), the first female news director of an American television network (Univision) and the first woman to serve as spokesperson for the Secretary General of the United Nations. She now lives in Israel and teaches journalism at New York University's Tel Aviv campus. 
The 65-year-old American recently made her first trip back to Cambodia, (she was expelled in 1973 for reporting on US involvement in bombing campaigns) to commemorate the 38 journalists killed in Cambodia in the 1970s – a figure only topped by the latest Iraq War.

No comments:

Post a Comment